Golden Hammer Award
Created by the Historic City of Jefferson in 2008, the Golden Hammer Award recognizes those in our community who are restoring our historic structures, whether it’s a modest home, a grand home, or a commercial building. Restoration, not only saves these structures for years to come, but also shows the pride our community has for our past. Through this award, we are also able to share the history of our community. This information can help to make more informed decisions regarding the fate of our historic structures.
HCJ has recognized buildings that were once thriving businesses, buildings that are still thriving businesses, stately historic homes and modest historic homes. This is what is so unique of our older neighborhoods. There was such a diverse collection of buildings … all types of homes varying in architectural style and size.
• 50 Years Old and in Jefferson City
• Exterior Renovations that do not detract from historic integrity – Not general maintenance
• Work completed within the last 5 years.
To submit a nomination for a Golden Hammer Award, view and print off our nomination form. Or send a nomination letter to Historic City of Jefferson, P.O. Box 105056, Jefferson City, MO 65110. Golden Hammer Nomination Form
The letter should include:
- Address of the nominated building
- Brief description of why the building is nominated
- Name of current owner, if known
- Name, address and telephone number of person making the nomination
- Before and after pictures & information about previous ownership, if available
Please see previous winners below!
This building has had two addresses, 106 and 108 East High Street. The award is being given to Matthew Ruge with the Missouri Independent Bankers Association. This association and the Divinity Religious Gift Shop reside in the building.
This restored circa 1910 home, at 307 Marshall Street, is the 4th Golden Hammer award winner on Marshall Street. Thank you, Russell and Dylan Gish (father and son duo)!
Historic City of Jefferson is very excited to recognize Lincoln University for their continued care of the president’s residence-our July Golden Hammer Award winner! This very stately limestone home has graced the bluff on Jackson Street for 104 years. Both the City of Jefferson and Lincoln University are rich in history and this home has been witness to a brief history of time of both these institutions making it an even more beautifully unique home.
This property at 706 Swifts Highway, built around 1930, was renovated by Charlie Frank and family, and funded in part by the city’s Residential Rental Facade Improvement program.
Honoring: Tony and Jenny Smith
Location: 612 E. McCarty St.
Honoring: Shannon and Jami Wade
Location: 1121 Lee St.
Honoring: Richard Howerton and his daughter, Sarah Howerton Knee
Location: Jefferson City Museum of Modern Art at 220 E. High Stree
Honoring: The City of Jefferson
Location: 304 Marshall St.
Honoring: John & Shellie Pervinich
Location: 615 E. Capitol Ave.
Honoring: Ryan and Stacie Gilmore
Location: 303 Marshall St.
Honoring: Charlie and Jessica Christiansen
Location: West Main Pizza, 1931 West Main
Honoring: Jewell Patek
Location: 115 East High Street
Honoring: Rod Burnett, Ron Dawson, Tim Hayden, Gary Oberkrom, Dick Otke and Jason Otke
Location: Millbottom Building, 400 West Main Street
Honoring: Keith and Jeannie McGowan – 1910 American Foursquare Home
Location: 209 Cherry Street
Honoring: Curtis (Bo) and Marlene Bohanon – 1834 Greek Revival Home
Location: 1916 Greenberry Rd.
Dr. Chandra and Barbara Prasad
1302 Moreau Dr.
805 Mulberry St.
1317 Moreau Dr.
1007 East McCarty Street
Donna and Michel Deetz
716 and 720 East High Street
Nathan Runyan and Matt Winingear, Professional Building Restoration, LLC
Bockrath House, 1899
309 West Dunklin Street
938 Fairmount Blvd.
Dr. Patricia J. Macfarlane
119 Forest Hill (1925, built by Phil Dallmeyer Sr. and his wife Bertha C. (Lena) Natsch)
Scuba Adventure (formally Ahrens-Graessle Grocery and later Ferguson Grocery)
901 Jefferson Street
Darryl and Connie Hubble
616 (Circa 1898) and 618 (Circa 1920) East High Street
Michael and Laura Ward
Nelson and Gertrude Burch House, 1868
115 West Atchison Street
Jerry and Mary Jane Evans
1210 Moreau Drive
Common Ground/Old Town Center
1015 East Atchison Street
Award presented to First United Methodist Church and Old Town Revitalization Company
Wymore Place LLC
Wymore Place Apartments
Corner of Washington and West McCarty Streets
Donna and Michel Deetz, Laurelanne Bellezzo
712 East High Street
Kelsey and Jeremy Hilburn
1212 Moreland Ave.
Duncan and Lucia Kincheloe
2027 West Main Street
101 West High Street
Steve and Anita Lael
1005 Moreau Drive
Hank and Linda Stratman
The Inn at The Village Square (formerly Warwick Village)
1507 East McCarty Street
Kevin and Courtney Pigford
River City Habitat for Humanity and Homebuilders Assoc of Central MO
802 East McCarty Street
Mark and Stacey Young, Office of Appraisal Associates, Nunn and Young
518 East Capitol Street
Curtis Hanarhan and Pete Nacy, Office of Hanarhan & Nacy Law Firm
522 East Capitol Street
Dan and Linda Bull
1629 West Main Street
Jon and Marcia Burton
150 Boonville Road
Jill Hartke, Owner
Chris and Traci Estes, Previous Owners and Restorers
1125 West Main Street
Flora Herndon, Owner
River City Habitat for Humanity
801 Broadway Street
Scott and Tina Sellner
1905 North Circle
Greg and Jerri Bemboom
1106 Vineyard Square
BJ DeLong and Joe DeLong
108 West Atchison Street
Shannon and Jami Wade
1914 West Main Street
1215 Moreland Dr.
319 Ash Street
Damon and Dana Northweather
D&D Main Street Market
1937 West Main Street
417 East High Street
1400 St. Mary’s Blvd.
310 Marshall Street
River City Habitat for Humanity
114 East Atchison Street
1031 West Main Street
Therapeutic Touch Wellness Center
1128 Jefferson Street
Harold Kirby and Andrea Spillars
1204 Moreland Dr.
Don Galbreath and Lisa Castillo
301 East Ashley Street